Meeting 06 February 2020

7pm @ Albyns Depot, South End Road, South Hornchurch, RM13 7YH


1.   Attendance/Apologies

Present: Jeff Stafford (JS), Sheila Clarke (SC), Raymond Randall (RR), Dave Bender (DB),

Liz Hawthorn (LH), Stephanie Nunn (SN), Jackie Whitelock (JW),

Richard Cottam (RC, LBH Parks),

Apologies for absence: Brian Breeze (BB)


2.   Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising

The minutes of the previous meeting (07 November 2019) were agreed.


3.   Chair’s/Vice Chair’s Report

Roding, Beam and Ingrebourne (RBI) meeting: RR attended on 22 January 2020. We were praised by John Thurlow for creating the land spit at the outlet pond below the children’s play area.

Land of the Fanns:  Aisling Woodhead advised that they still have money available for grants.

Invasive Non Native Species Management (Japanese Knotweed) and Treatment Course: RR will be attending at Thames Chase on 14 Feb, 28 Feb and 13 March 2020. Dates for the assessment will be confirmed later.


3.   Secretary’s Report

LH was confirmed as the new Group Secretary.

Funding Applications/Projects

Community Green Spaces Grant: We were not successful in obtaining this grant.

Veolia: Veolia is now working to a nationwide criterion, money has been ring fenced for Havering but LBH will only be allowed one application per year. Money is still available for grants to Friends Groups and similar.

            Grants Applications: RR and LH attended Grant Application training.

We should decide on work needed before investigating availability of grants (there are usually several sources available).


4.   Finance Report

Current balance £ 4,159.05 of which £ 1767.42 is reserved under grants

Balance of unrestricted funds is £ 2,391.63


5.   Havering Parks Officer’s Report

Accessible Path at Viewing Point: The path has been installed; some adjustments will be done to the fencing to allow seated persons an unimpeded view across the marsh.

RAF blue bins: The standing for the new bins have been completed, mostly where the old bins were located but also some new ones, including one on the path by the old hospital site.

Path behind old hospital site: A request received for this path to be widened can’t be done as the land on one side doesn’t belong to parks and there is a steep bank and ditch on the other side.

Sand in outlet: Sand has been noted in the outlet by the path behind the hospital site which may be coming from the building works.

Benches: Benches in the park will be painted in RAF blue. Some new memorial benches have been installed.

Interpretation Boards: Barry Wheatley has been commissioned to do 4 paintings of scenes from WW2, depicting some of the artefacts which remain in the park. 2 will be installed initially. RR and LH to apply for a grant to install the remaining 2 boards; costing information to be supplied by RC.


6.   Working Party Report

Sunday 1 December 2019: Work on Epen, 10 volunteers attended.

Sunday 19 January 2020: Work on Epen, 16 volunteers attended.  

Next Working Party: Date/s to be confirmed.

 Mid-week work party to be arranged to plant some trees with Mick.

 History plaques to be cleaned and re-varnished.

 RC to investigate if thicker metal is available to use as post protectors.


7.   Events Reports & Planning

Nothing to report.


8.   Website and Communications Report

Nothing to report.


9.   Other Business

LH reported a bonfire on the path behind the bench at the top of pine tree hill. Waste material is empty bags of kindling and coal/coke, soft drinks, crisp and sweet wrappers. It has been cleared once but has reappeared.

Some raw meat was also found in the bushes behind the bench – unable to tell what sort, but it appeared fresh and there were no signs of fur or feathers.


Date of Next Meeting - Thursday 05 March 2020, 7pm Albyns Depot.