Meeting 16 July 2020

8pm via Zoom

 

1.   Attendance/Apologies

Present: Jeff Stafford (JS), Sheila Clarke (SC), Raymond Randall (RR), Dave Bender (DB), Stephanie Nunn, Liz Hawthorn (LH)

Apologies for absence: Richard Cottam (RC, LBH Parks),

 

2.   Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising

The minutes of the previous meeting (05 March 2020) were agreed.

Matters Arising:  All on hold at current time

 

3.   Chair’s/Vice Chair’s Report

Nothing to report

 

4.   Secretary’s Report

Nothing to report.

Theft of 3 History Plaques

Park Ranger, Mick, advised JS on 12 June that 3 History Plaques had been stolen.

Investigations found that 3 of the plaques for the History Trail appeared to have been forcibly levered off the posts and taken leaving most of the screws in situ and causing damage to the posts.

Brian Breeze (BB) advised that the plaques had cost approximately £100 each and the posts £30 each.

LH has reported the theft to Police.

LH to contact Zurich Insurances to see if this is covered.

RR to contact Aisling from Land of the Fanns to ascertain if a grant could be applied for to repair the damage.

DB to investigate if laser cutting wood plaques could be a viable alternative.

The plaques should be replaced as soon as possible and it may be possible to fill and re-paint the posts to save funds.

LH to ask BB if he still has the correct paint, security screws and screwdriver.

 

5.   Finance Report

Current balance £ 4,190.52 of which £ 1,767.42 is reserved under grants

Balance of unrestricted funds is £ 2,423.10

£35 has been received since last meeting – believed to be from EWT for leaflets.

RR has been given a cheque for £103.07 for website costs which has not been taken from the balances reported.

 

6.   Havering Parks Officer’s Report

Nothing received.

 

7.   Working Party Report

No work parties have taken place due to current pandemic.

Paul Holyoake has been doing a good job litter picking while walking his dogs and other individuals have been seen doing the same. RR will issue a thank you.

DB resigned from the committee for personal reasons but will continue to support work parties and the collection of equipment from the Depot.

The committee extended their thanks to Dave for the brilliant job he has done since the Friends Group was set up.

Mid-week work parties to be considered working with ranger.

There are several blockages in the river – RR to ask EA and RBI if they can offer any assistance but this will probably have to wait until the threat from the pandemic has lessened as it is not safe to work alone by the river.

Squadrons Approach car park and Epen needs cutting back again.

 

8.   Website and Communications Report

Website has been updated and front page currently shows summer migrants, birds and butterflies, to look out for in the park.

 

9.   Other Business

Wildlife booklet is almost completed – to be sent to SN to proof read.

 

Date of Next Meeting - Thursday 03 September 2020, 7pm Via Zoom