Meeting 05 March 2020

7pm @ Albyns Depot, South End Road, South Hornchurch, RM13 7YH

 

1.   Attendance/Apologies

Present: Jeff Stafford (JS), Sheila Clarke (SC), Raymond Randall (RR), Dave Bender (DB),

Liz Hawthorn (LH)

Apologies for absence: Stephanie Nunn (SN), Jackie Whitelock (JW), Brian Breeze (BB),

Richard Cottam (RC, LBH Parks),

 

2.   The minutes of the previous meeting (06 February 2020) were agreed after altering “benches” to “boards” in Section 7 – Interpretation Boards

            Matters Arising: See notes under relevant sections

 

3.   Chair’s/Vice Chair’s Report

Invasive Non Native Species Management (Japanese Knotweed) and Treatment Course: RR attended the first session on 14 February but felt it would not be conducive to complete the course as he is not fit enough to use the necessary equipment.

There is Japanese Knotweed in the park but it is not in areas where we generally have work parties. London Borough of Havering and the Environment Agency are responsible for treating so any found should be reported to them.

RR to send identification information to DB.

Corona Virus: RR received information from the National Council for Voluntary Organisations which must be passed on to volunteers.

Volunteers should not attend work parties, or other events, if they may have been exposed to the virus or they have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath and should self-isolate and contact 111.

Hands should be washed frequently, with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or with alcohol- based hand sanitiser.

Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.

Cover coughs or sneezes with a tissue and then throw in a bin.

 

4.   Secretary’s Report

Nothing to report.

 

5.   Funding Applications/Projects

Interpretation Boards: Costs of £2,600 to install 2 interpretation boards where received from RC.  Land of the Fanns has already allocated all interpretation grant monies so a grant is not available from this source.

RR will investigate if grant money is available from other sources.

The Fore: JS attended a workshop on 4 March.

The Fore is launching a pilot grants programme for charities and social enterprises in Havering.  Grant funding and pro bono expertise will be provided to at least 6 Havering charities and social enterprises.  Successful applicants will receive unrestricted grant funding of up to £30,000 over 1 – 3 years.

More information is available on The Fore’s Website www.thefore.org

 

6.   Finance Report

Current balance £ 4,155.52 of which £ 1,767.42 is reserved under grants

Balance of unrestricted funds is £ 2,388.10

 

7.   Havering Parks Officer’s Report

Nothing received.

 

8.   Working Party Report

Sunday 1 March: Work to clear a blockage in the river near the chicane was cancelled due to health and safety concerns as the river was very high and fast flowing and the banks extremely wet and slippery.  New date to be arranged when conditions improve.

Wednesday 11 March 2020: Tree planting with the ranger, Mick.

Epen:  Mick has done a lot of work removing trees.

History plaques: to be cleaned and re-varnished when weather is suitable.

RC to investigate if thicker metal is available to use as post protectors.

 

9.   Events Reports & Planning

Date to be set at next meeting.

RC to be contacted regarding catering at events as Essex Wildlife believes they are entitled to receive monies raised.

 

10. Website and Communications Report

Nothing to report.

 

11. Other Business

LH and RR cleared waste from bonfire site and surrounding area at the top of pine tree hill.  JS to contact Mick regarding status of padlock to gate leading to visitors centre.

 

Date of Next Meeting - Thursday 02 April 2020, 7pm Albyns Depot.