Minutes of Meeting 20 October 2022
16:00 Albyns Depot
Present: Raymond Randall (RR), Sheila Clarke (SC), Brian Breeze (BB), Liz Hawthorn (LH), Stephanie Nunn (SN)
Apologies for absence: Jeff Stafford (JS), Richard Cottam (RC) LBH Parks
2. Minutes of previous meeting - Minutes of the previous meeting (04 August 2022) agreed
3. Matters Arising
Nature Booklet – RR has a home printed version of the Nature Booklet and has also copied it to a memory stick. RR will contact JS to arrange handover.
Insurance money – has been received from LBH.
Invoice sent to EWT for supply of 100 History Leaflets – All invoices have now been paid.
Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme – RR has not yet made contact, regarding including Joe’s litter picking in the park on our website. RR will continue to try.
Wildflower Garden around Roundel – Carried forward as RC not in attendance.
Thames 21 river clearance risk assessment – RR still chasing
Wind Turbine - Carried forward as RC not in attendance.
Bikes – are wanted by Wennington residents affected by the fire. SN has put them in touch with JS. Bike maintenance course – carried forward as JS not in attendance.
Shopping trolley and trees - Carried forward as RC not in attendance.
4. Chair/Vice Chairs reports – Nothing to report
5. Secretary’s Report – LH has renewed the Groups Insurance and paid £157 – receipt given to SC
6. Finance Report
Balance held £3,112.01
£1,321.88 is reserved under Capital grants.
Balance of unrestricted funds £1,790.13
Cheque for £157 passed to LH, for insurance money paid, but not in these accounts
7. Park Officer’s Report – received by Email from RC
1. Lakes – I am sure you have seen some of the issues around lakes this week. We have had a number of dead wildfowl removed from lakes in Borough, including HXCP. Although it hasn’t been confirmed, as this would come from Defra, it seem like it might be Avian Flu I’m afraid, if that’s the case I would expect more in the coming weeks
2. At the end of this month we will be losing a Ranger to Voluntary Redundancy (not Mick). This means we will be down to Two Rangers and one Apprentice and cannot replace him as it’s a redundancy. This means that Dave will be working between Mick and Dan (The other remaining Ranger) in fortnightly blocks. It will also mean that for some bigger jobs Mick and Dan will have to join forces all-over the Borough and also that both Mick and Dave will be helping out at Bedford’s Park in looking after the captive Deer Herd.
3. Good news at the London in Bloom Awards HXCP won Gold and best in class for both Country Park and Conservation Area categories. That’s two years in row now.
8. Nature Booklet – see matters arising.
9. Events - No change since last meeting.
10. Cycling – see Bikes in matters arising
11. Work Parties
The 8th Hornchurch Beavers, aged 6 – 8 years old, and their leaders worked with the Friends to clear mud from the chicane and cut back overgrowth across the paths. They also cleared around the battleship gun site.
12. Website and Communication Report www.ingrebournevalleyfriends.org
13. Other Business - Quarry Proposal
LH advised that Brett Aggregates are proposing a sand and gravel quarry at Rainham Lodge Farm – 50 hectare site in Berwick Pond Road. This is directly opposite the EWT visitors centre, on the other side of the marshes. The intention would be to use Bunds to mask the works from the view from the visitors centre. Brett owns this farmland.
2 million tons of sand and gravel would be quarried over 15 – 20 years. Approx. 150,000 tons per year. Site access, for approx. 96 Lorries per day, would be via Berwick Pond Road.
Proposed operating hours are: Mon. – Fri. 07.00 to 18.00, Sat. 07.00 to 13.00, no operations on Sun. or bank holidays.
The existing footpath across the farm would be diverted for a time and reinstated to the original route when possible. A boardwalk across the marshes to the visitors centre is proposed when the works are completed along with other landscaping works.
No formal planning application has yet been received by LBH.
EWT have written to Brett Aggregates to voice concerns about the proposal and, if a formal application is received, will submit an objection.
A group, Hacton Quiet not Quarry, has been set up on Facebook to oppose the proposal and has over 1,000 members.
An initial campaign meeting will be held on Friday 28 October 2022 at 18.45 at
Suttons Lane Primary School, Suttons Lane, Hornchurch, RM12 6RP
Date of Next Meeting – To be announced.