Meeting 18 March 2021

7pm via Zoom

 

1.   Attendance/Apologies

Present: Jeff Stafford (JS), Raymond Randall (RR), Sheila Clarke, Brian Breeze (BB), Liz Hawthorn (LH), Richard Cottam (RC, LBH Parks)

Apologies for absence: None

 

2.   Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising

The minutes of the previous meeting (14 October 2020) were agreed.

Matters Arising:

To be covered in during meeting.

 

3.   History Plaques

BB purchased 3 brushed stainless steel plaques to replace the original 3 that were stolen. RR and LH purchased some filler and were able to repair and paint the damaged posts and affix the new plaques. These look very good and another 4 will be purchased to replace the brass plaques stolen later in 2020.

RR to advise BB which 4 need replacing.

Local businesses to be invited to sponsor replacing the remaining plaques.

 

4.   Nature Booklet

JS spoke to Kate from EWT who advised that he speak to EWT head office about moving this forward. This will be done when current restrictions have been lifted.

 

5.   Cycling

JS reports that Havering Cyclists consider that Cycle Path 136 is too narrow and busy to use safely at this time. They are talking to Substrans with a view to widening the path.

A cycle that was found abandoned in the park is not wanted by its owners. Havering Cyclists will refurbish it and offer it to ranger Mick Greenslade to use around the park.

 

6.   Work Parties

RR received a report form Thames 21 stating that they would be holding River Clearance work parties. RC felt it is too early to start work parties and will look into it.

 

7.   Finance Report

No change since last meeting.

 

8.   Havering Parks Officer’s Report

Green Flag and London in Bloom – Meeting was of the opinion that the flag post for the Green Flag award would be best placed on top of the bank in Squadrons Approach near the existing park sign.

HCP will be entered for the Green Flag award again this year and for London in Bloom for Country Park and Conservation Area.

 

Increase in HCP usage – there has been large increase in the numbers using HCP during lockdown resulting in more litter and damage caused by increased footfall. RC will pass our thanks to Mick Greenslade for the work he has done in keeping the park clean. Most of the damage caused by increased footfall will right itself but parks will keep an eye on it to see if nature needs any help.

 

9.   Work by Chicane

RR advised that trees had been removed and cut back by the chicane and felt this may have been done by Roding, Beam and Ingrebourne Catchment Partnership (RBI) as part of their proposed works to create a new pond meeting area and walkways.

RC will look into this.

 

10.  Events

Havering Council will not authorise any events in their Parks yet.

RC will check on the wording of their contract with EWT to ascertain if they have the right to take profit from outside caterers at events organised by the Friends Group if they have declined to provide additional catering themselves.

 

11.  Website and Communications Report

A link to a 30 minute silent video of the airfield during WW2 has been inserted.

 

12.  Other Business

RC advised that there is no need to hold an AGM this year because of pandemic

 

Date of Next Meeting – Thursday 22 April @ 7pm via Zoom