Meeting 01 July 2021

7pm via Zoom

 

1.   Attendance/Apologies

Present: Jeff Stafford (JS), Raymond Randall (RR), Sheila Clarke (SC), Brian Breeze (BB), Liz Hawthorn (LH), Richard Cottam (RC) LBH Parks

Apologies for absence: Stephanie Nunn (SN)

 

2.   Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising

The minutes of the previous meeting (03 June 2021) were agreed.

Matters Arising:

Work by Chicane – RC believes this was carried out by Thames 21/Land of the Fanns

Catering at Friends Events – Essex Wildlife Trust have first refusal for catering at any events held in the park but do not have the right to claim any money from outside caterers.

Below are the relevant sections from EWT’s lease with the Council supplied by RC:

“(8) To not allow on the area shaded black on plan 2 any business which competes with the Permitted Use including but not limited to the sale of fast food.

(9) To give the Lessee the right of first refusal to cater events outside the area shaded black on plan 2 within Hornchurch Country Park. The Council is to give reasonable notice of any events which require catering and the Lessee shall advise the Council of whether it wishes to exercise the right of first refusal within seven days after notice from the Council.”

Insurance – Council will continue to refund insurance paid by Friends Groups but it is too late to claim for last year.

Official Friends Groups – Council will no longer being doing anything with regards to this.

Sponsorship of History Plaques – JS has left a message for the Community Champion at Tesco Roneo Corner but has received no contact. BB will try to contact the Community Champion at the airfield Tesco store regarding possible sponsorship of a plaque.

History Trail Plaques and Leaflets – BB has not had time to investigate costs for protection of the bottom of the posts but will do so. RR has spoken to Kate at EWT and has asked her to display the History Trail leaflets more obviously. RR will display signs advertising the sale of the History Trail leaflets.

 

Persons in SSSI area– RC will supply Mick Greenslade with some “No Entry” signs to display on the gates leading to the SSI area.

Training course on Wildlife and Habitat Surveying– RR has not been able to obtain and further details. RC will try to find out more information.

 

3.   Chair/Vice Chairs reports

Nothing to report

 

4.   Secretary’s Report

Nothing to report

 

5.   Finance Report

Balance held £3,819.67 (£200 received for history plaque sponsorship)

£1,321.88 is reserved under Capital grants.

Balance of unrestricted funds £ 2,497.79

 

6.   Park Officer’s Report

London in Bloom – judging will be on 9th July 2021.

Green Flag – is likely going to be positioned near to sign by play area as senior officers prefer it to be on a longer pole.

Street Cleansing – liable to be put out to contract along with waste collection.

Parks Management – to remain in-house for time being.

RC will check contract with EWT and ask James Rose for his opinion as to whether they are expected to work with our group.

 

7.   History Plaques

RR to send Email to volunteers regarding sponsorship of the 2 remaining plaques.

RR and LH to collect 5 stainless steel plaques from BB and attach to relevant posts.

 

8.   Nature Booklet

On hold until we have further information..

 

9.   Events

No Friends events will be held this year. Council now require 8 – 10 weeks’ notice.

 

10.   Cycling

Dr Bike will be opposite Visitors Centre on Sunday 11th July 2021. They will be checking bikes and advising what to do to ensure they are safe and will encourage the use of bells.

 

11.   Work Parties

 

10 volunteers attended first work party on Weds. 9th June and cleared vegetation in one corner of the Epen with the rangers and cleaned the Roundel.

Next work party is planned for Sunday 4 July to remove rubbish from river and cut back vegetation over-hanging path to chicane and the top path.

 

12.   Website and Communication Report

New website is almost ready to go live. RR is much happier with new site provider.

 

13.   Other Business

None


Date of Next Meeting – Thursday 5 August 2021 @ 7pm – by Zoom